Thursday, August 23, 2012

Cowriting in Nashville

Had a great writing session with Logan Heftel, a writer from LA who I met at an open mic. I'm very happy with the tune and the process was great. He has a great melodic sense, thinks deeply and plays well. I learned a lot and came out with shared credits on a great tune -- and the possibility of future collaborations.

Someone told me "Nashville is full of people who were the best writer in their town." I don't claim to be the best writer in the places I've lived, but I DO know that the bar here is so much higher that I felt a little bit like a beginner again, for the first time in a LONG time. The last time I came close to feeling as nervous as I did at the Blue Bird was years ago opening for Over the Rhine. Before that? It had to be in high school when I was just starting and so scared every time I played a song live that my legs would shake through the first few songs.

May have a session or two tomorrow.

No comments: