Monday, December 23, 2013

Hard at work songwriting

I just returned from the Dallas area where I went primarily to write songs for the next Surge On Smith album. The writing process went well, although it was definitely work. And I mean that in a good way. There's something to be said for working hard, and while I do believe that good art includes hard work, on many levels I'm a lazy writer. Now a lot of progress can be made in songwriting (and many areas in life) through dogged persistence. If you keep writing songs you will get better. And I have. But then there are those weak areas that just take work.

Surge On Smith, by the very nature of the project and the writing partnership with Kelly, gets at some of my weaknesses. I tend to be vague and I'm not good at story songs. This work is adding a layer of concrete, vividness, and linear movement to the gleeful sense of timing, love of melody, stabs at honesty and love of imagery which has been the core of my work to date.




















Photo by Chriss Welter Wasinger

No comments: