Monday, June 11, 2012

Shifting Gears

One of the metaphors that's been tossed around in the leadership development circles I run around in is the idea of "shifting gears" -- especially related to taking sabbaticals of the sort that allow you to truly "go into neutral."

Biking with my dad last week that image became viscerally present to me again -- same amount of effort + new gear = different results (more speed, the ability to climb a hill you couldn't otherwise).

I am experiencing something like this personally post-sabbatical. I'm doing some of the same things I did before (playing songs, coaching leaders and artists) but it's working better. What's different? Hard to pinpoint but it has something to do with having been totally in neutral for a while and coming back with in a new gear and and -- perhaps even with access to a few new gears.

So yes, disconnecting and resting deeply and profoundly can and does have an effect on "the things you make" (which is what this blog is about).

No comments: