Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Songwriting Commission (Part One)

One of the fun side effects of the You Have Not Seen project is that I got a songwriting job out of it. One of the kickstarter rewards for a more substantial contribution was a commissioned song. When I say "commission" this is what I mean by it:

1.  I interview the subject (either about themselves, someone close to them like in the case of a song that's a gift for someone, or about a specific relationship or location). I ask a lot of questions and do a lot of listening.

2. I take what I hear and learn and I write a song. It's not meant to be an exact portrait of the person or place -- rather an impressionist sketch or story that takes flight from the facts, memories and perspectives of that person -- mixed with my own thoughts, prayer, reflections. 

I've done a number of these over the years, and it's been great to see what comes of them. I'll reflect more about them in part two.




No comments: