Saturday, October 24, 2009

The Adrenalin Zone and 360 Degrees

I've been laid out sick for the last five days. Didn't listen to music or watch Hulu part of the time -- the sound hurt my head. It's been a while since I've been sick like that.

Something cool happened in the process: I slowed down.

You know the power of adrenalin to help you focus and tune out everything else? I think I have lived a lot of the last two decades in an adrenalin-like state, focusing on one vision or problem and blocking everything else out, then shifting to another one and blocking everything else, etc etc.

It feels strange and wonderful to be seeing 360 degrees, aware of my surroundings. I have a sense of the whole of my life: body, mind, relationships, emotions, projects, and dreams.

I've been aware of and had the tools to track the big picture, I've just done it from the adrenalin zone. I had good categories for the different parts of my life -- what I haven't had was the sense of being in touch with them all at once (or even peacefully scanning between them as opposed to panic-battle-mode leaping from fire to fire).

Oh, and by the way, it's not hard to find music and movies that keep you in that same adrenalin zone.

No comments: