Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Repairing metaphors

Over used, depleted, dried up metaphors are everywhere -- they are dogs with no teeth, clouds without rain, umbrellas that won't stay open. 

Most writers I know tend to avoid cliches like the plague (how possible is that?) OR they damn the torpedoes, ignore the critics and assume that if the sun has stood in for God or your true love for all these centuries who are we to question that...

The mountains are much used as image and metaphor. I find myself returning to them regularly. I look for a clever turn of phrase or a fresh angle, but I don't assume a song can't bump along the same rutted path so many other tunes have traveled before.

And I wonder if the prophet's declaration about the wilderness becoming a place of springs might apply even to the metaphor used in that thundering promise.

No comments: