Saturday, January 22, 2011

Surge On Smith recording day one

Started at around 11 today after frost on the windows and a few other unexpected details slowed our path to the studio. Good studio. Good producer/engineer. This was Kelly's first time in the studio, and it's been a few years for me. Plus this guy has worked with a lot of signed acts so he was in a different league than some of my earlier experiences. I was kind of intimidated -- and I'm not even singing lead (which is where you really feel it).

Got two songs mostly done. They sound very good. Think T Bone Burnett production vibe stripped down a bit (translation for non music nerds -- kind of a folky, simple but interesting sound). We hit a snag halfway through the second song. I was wondering if we were going to have to start over or do something drastic to it, but a couple prayers and ten minutes later it was working. Really did kind of feel like divine assistance. Very thankful.

Also very tired and we have another full day in the studio tomorrow. I appreciate your interest and support in these endeavors. It's good to be recording again, seeing songs come to life that I hope people will enjoy and be encouraged and challenged by in the months and years to come.

No comments: